Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mennonite Food Revolution: Cream Waffles


There is much ado, if one follows popular culture, about the new Food Revolution series. This series shares themes with a book by Michael Pollan, Food Rules as well as the documentary Food, Inc. These are old ideas with a new spin. Know what is in your food. Eat to live, not live to eat. Banish highly processed foods from your diet. Make room for green space on your table. Go ahead and eat mashed potatoes, gravy, and chicken strips. Just make them yourself.

Many Mennonites, and other healthy minded, sensible folks have been doing this for a long time. I have found the Mennonite Community Cookbook a treasure trove of delicious recipes made from healthy and simple ingredients. There is, to be sure, a lot of butter and cream used. Few recipes call for wheat flour. But the basics are there. Making good food ,with locally found ingredients and then savoring them at the family table. I take the liberty to make some substitutes: low fat cream, whole wheat flour, less salt and sugar when I can. I also think of quality, not quantity, when I shop, eat, and prepare. Less food, better taste!

The cream waffles my husband and I enjoyed this balmy morning are from Grandma's cookbook. They are wonderful. We topped them with organic peanut butter and syrup and enjoyed them in their sticky glory. They are easy to mix and make and I had all the ingredients already in the house.

Cream Waffles
2 cups flour (1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
1/2 cup thick sour cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, separated

Mix dry ingredients together.
Beat egg yolks and add milk and cream.
combine with dry ingredients.
Fold in stiffly beaten eggg whites.
Makes 6 waffles.

This recipe is adapted from the Mennonite Community Cookbook (1950)

Thoroughly enjoying my Mennonite Food Revolution,
~Ellen~

Food Rules
Michael Pollan (2009)
Food, Inc.
Robert Kenner, Director (2008)

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget to try the white sauce over the waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, yes, the white sauce. My grandma always made it, and to this day, I don't like waffles with syrup, only white sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on your blog today when I was on the hunt for a graham cracker fluff recipe. Both my parents were Amish and then left the Amish church and lived the remainder of their lives as Mennonites. My maiden name was Yutzy so we may even be related! Anyway, just wanted to let you know I've really enjoyed perusing some of your recipes and your stories. Beautiful thoughts and writing. I too love going back to the Mennonite cookbooks. They were making real food before it became popular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, you must eat waffles with white sauce (often referred to as "baby sauce" in our Mennonite tradition).
    So is it zwieback or zwiebach?

    ReplyDelete